Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Nightmare on My Street

First off, let me start by saying this post is not about some neighborhood meltdown. No one was robbed or battered during the writing of this blog. What is it about then? A childhood fear realized in its entirety.

When I was almost four years old I was consumed by many things; Rainbow Brite, My Little Pony and chasing cute boys. (It started early, what can I say?) During one particular chase I ended up in a dark room with the only light shining from a TV in a far corner. A VHS player cranked nosily and a movie crept across the screen. I was mesmerized. By the boy I was chasing of course! But later, I was also intrigued by the screen. Something was happening. Something bad, and I couldn't turn away. A man in a red and black stripped sweater, face leaky and holed, brown Fedora draped on his skull, was creeping across the tube and he was scary. Super scary. Like scary in a way that one little 4 year old could never forget. He was Freddy Kruger. And because of him, I wouldn't sleep for the next seven years.

From the moment I saw "A Nightmare on Elm Street" I lost my sense of cool. Everything scared the crap out of me, even my Carebear if you threw a trashy Fedora on it. At first I couldn't sleep alone at all. When dawn would arrive you'd find me in one of two places: my mother's bed or her floor (if I was kicked out of said bed.) As I grew, the fear subsided, but only by spoonfuls. I had to sleep with the TV on. Then with a night light. And, on the eve of my start to the seventh grade, I gave it my best shot and went to sleep with a hope that nothing would go bump in the night, or claw me to death from under my bed (lovely.) I made it through that night (and all the others that followed.) Until tonight. Tonight I came face to face with my fear.

I was to attend the Fearnet screening of "Fear Clinic" starring none other than Robert Englund. I had to say his name 30 times before finally realizing it wasn't actually Freddy. I floated around the party, Chardonnay in my well-past-four-year-old hand, and while looking at my Blackberry, nearly walked into the legend himself. Looking very distinguished in a grey jacket with the collar popped, Mr. Kruger didn't look so menacing. He almost looked cool. He's just a man. He's just an actor. Nine years of insomnia for what?

I crept up to him. "Excuse me, Mister Englund?"
He turned to me with a smile.
"Because of you, I lost nine years of sleep."
He smiled at me, put an arm on my shoulder and said, "Sweetheart, it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it."
Then he posed for this picture...





...and suddenly...
I'm scared ALL over again.

=o)

4 comments:

ReelyBored said...

Nice article, also very lucky to have met Mr. Englund! Two things:

1.) It's Krueger

2.) Sweater is dirty red and green :) not black

Desiree and Ben said...

LOL first of all, I didn't even KNOW you were blogging again, thought you quit all together. 2nd, Damn that man haunted mine and my brothers dreams for years!!! 3rd, I have been trying to message you on facebook, but for some reason it doesnt work! I was trying to ask you for recommendations for my honeymoon. :) We are pretty sure we want to go to NY. Problem is, A) Never been, and have no idea where to stay B) Never been, and have no idea what to do :) Help!!! :)

P.S. Yay! So happy you're blogging again! Still waiting for the book though!

Desiree

judieannphotography said...

Yikes!!! I can so hear him telling you what he said in his Freddy voice...lol. So happy to read your blog chiquita!

Unknown said...

Jona.. I bow to you. So sorry I messed up the specifics!

Dez- I'm bbbaaaccckkkkk!!!!! Email me laurenjrivera@gmail.com
Book/movie will be written before 2011!

Jaz - lol, thanks babe!