Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Case Study: Those Who Love Chuck Bass

I’m not normally one for teen dramas (outside of the time I actually was a teenager, circa the original 90210.) Don’t know where I was during My So Called Life, caught a few good episodes of Everwood, and never got into One Tree Hill (and explain to me how they are suddenly all in their mid-20s adopting teenagers?) So how did I end up addicted to Gossip Girl? Two words: Chuck Bass (or as he often likes to explain “I’m Chuck Bass.”)

During Gossip Girl’s first season, I watched an episode focused on Dan and Serena. This could easily be why I wasn’t intrigued to watch more of the show. That couple dynamic BORES me. Lowly boy loves (super) upper-class girl and that alone means they can never be, blah blah blah. (And someone please explain to me how living in a sick loft in Brooklyn is equivalent to the ‘other side of the tracks’? Do you know how much living in Dumbo BK costs?!) What I didn’t get to see was the Chuck-Blair dynamic. Lucky for me, I gave GG a second try with its season 2 premiere which revolved heavily around Chair (I’m upset there isn’t a better way to mash their names together.) Evil games, tortured souls and insane lust! Now that is what I’m talking about. That is melodramatics at its finest. That is what makes me watch television!

Although I named this blog after the character of Chuck, I have to admit that I love Blair nearly as much. I also adore their real life entities as actors much more than anyone else on the show. Leighton Meester (Blair) is by far the best actor on the show; well-rounded and doesn’t miss a beat. Although Ed Westwick (Chuck) is stuck playing the ultimate bad-ass over and over, I like him enough to be interested in seeing him try something else (something very sweet and innocent perhaps?) Regardless of what they may be capable of in worlds outside of GG, at the moment I only care about having them remain the focus of this show. One admits feelings for the other, one then publicly castrates the other, then one stops one from jumping to their death, then one runs away from the other and then…(I forget where in this vicious cycle I was!)

This leads me to the timeless question: Why do good girls love bad guys? Blair isn’t the only person in love with Chuck Bass; 95% of girls/women between 15 and 30 who I know watches the show is completely infatuated with the fictional character (5% love Nate, gag boring!) Read that carefully my friends. It’s not Ed Westwick they want to lose their virginity to in the back of a limo, it’s Chuck Bass. But he’s so…bad! Which is exactly why he’s so good; the ultimate unattainable prize. The brooding, the daddy issues, the womanizing…he’s a total mess and mortally flawed. Which is why we absolutely love him!

BUT! Do not fear, all you good boys out there! The Chuck Basses of the world may be attractive, but eventually, like the games they play, their overall effect gets tiresome. We chase the unattainable because we hope that we will be the only ones capable of nabbing the prize (Hello, Experience? Are you calling me?) However, unlike Blair, most of us come to our senses rather quickly and realize this isn’t the kind of person we want to spend our lives with. We want the guy who doesn’t humiliate us, the guy who doesn’t leave us for a Thai prostitute, and who doesn’t make us cry. So see, you good guys win after all!

And when we want our fill of a Chuck Bass experience, we just bump him up in our Netflix queue =-)





Check out Teen Vogue's interview with Ed Westwick here: http://www.teenvogue.com/industry/2009/01/ed-westwick-interview

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer Nate over Chuck, but I guess I'm just a small percentage. Chuck bores me because he's always the same, bad guys bore me now. Maybe because I've had enough of them in the last 30 years??? Not sure.

Ok, and as for One Tree Hill, when one season ended after they graduated, the following season they returned, and they were either college graduates, or moms, or whatever. They didnt do the college years. I just started watching that show, cause I'm boring? Now sure about that either.

Glad you finally updated!

Desiree said...

That's me up there, sorry, I chose the wrong selection I guess...

Unknown said...

Des- I wanted to read your blog but I can't find it. What happened? Thanks for following.. I too got tired of the bad boy thing a while back. Still love them as TV/film characters but in real life, they are washed out.

Desiree said...

Ya, they're washed out. Did you find my blog?
I had a stalker. I should about that! hehe

Anonymous said...

Omg, I am in LOVE with Chuck Bass!!! Thank you for making me feel like I'm not the only one (my friends all hate chuck! Can you believe it? They're for dan or Nate... gag me!) it's not just because he is bad, though. He is perfect because even though he is the ultimate smoothtalker, has incredibly smoldering good looks, perfect fashion sense, and a high social status to top it all off, he is human just like the rest of us. He has his imperfections and problems with his father (which I can sure relate to). He is tortured on the inside with a perpetually guilty mentality that he is responsible for his mother's death. His life isn't perfect, and he definetly isn't as icy cold as he puts himself off to be. He has a soft, loving side and would go to the ends of the earth for the people he cares about. For example, he got Nate out of trouble many a time, and had his back through thick and thin. Also, it meant a lot when he told Blair that he loved her. Because his past was filled with family problems and he tried to hide his insecurities through womanizing, he had never really experienced or expressed true love. Therefore, it was really special and sweet when he did. Blair is so LUCKY!!! I can't wait to see them in season 3. Xoxo!

Anonymous said...

I love Chuck Bass .. The whole idea of loving a bad boy .. is a womans ability to tame him. Women love conquering men .. Bad ass men like Chuck Bass ..is all about Taming him ...

Anonymous said...

Lol, I'm infatuated with Chuck Bass and I can't believe it... I thought I was above that... It's funny how some things, like this, come naturally. =P

It's the way he talks that gets me every time. I find the actor's acting very good, mostly because I can see the transition from old Chuck to new Chuck by seeing the glow and tenderness on his face when he speaks to Blair. Is it just me noticing this? He has this smile which lingers on his face when he speaks to Blair, too, there is a chemistry there that well played out.

But like you said about these sort of relationships, they always come to an end... And it hurts a lot as they're finding out...

The actress playing Blair does a great job when it comes to the emotional scenes, she makes me teary having been there myself.