Friday, September 5, 2008

So I'm Not Very Political...

... but how can anyone deny the significance of this election???

Before I begin the storytelling, let me set a disclaimer: I do not usually analyze politics, I've never before taken the time to watch a debate, and November 4th will be the first time I've ever voted (and I've already had the opportunity to do so twice.) Maybe it's these points combined that make me the best person to state what's obvious since I'm fresh to the subject at hand.

For the duration of 2008 thus far, through my non-political perspective, I had only been aware of one battle: Hilary vs. Obama. McCain who? Who cares! There was a historic milestone developing around the race for President that had nothing to do with the Republican party. For months I saw the ads, heard the debates, and viewed the increasing involvement by my generation in determining who would take the Democratic nomination. Personally speaking, I believe an Obama/Hilary ticket would have been phenomenal, but after seeing them at odds I knew it was not possible. Regardless, those months were legendary. After all was said and done I had one lingering fear. The fear that all the efforts to bring change to our government while simultaneously changing our history by the addition of either a female or African American President, would be pointless because the majority of Americans may not be ready. And what is so disappointing is that the values and standpoints of either candidate could be entirely irrelevant if a voter couldn't see past gender and race lines. And it would be in that case that McCain, who just sat silently and unseen all along, could just sweep up the nomination for President. But, then the conventions happened...

First, the Democratic National Convention where Hilary and Bill rocked regardless of the fact that they won't be able to call the White House home again in 2008. Where the audience was young, vibrant and ready for something new and something smart to happen with this government. And where Obama gave a speech that moved me. It wasn't that I was trying to let it move me either, I was just listening and suddenly felt my eyes burning with happy tears. I'm not normally that dramatic, seriously. Maybe I don't need to see an extensive resume in politics to feel that someone knows what they are talking about and that, more importantly, the person I'm listening to commands change and immediately makes me want to do something about it. If he can do that to me, someone who normally could care less about paying attention to anything discussed on CNN during campaign time, then I have no doubts about his ability to get others to listen. Sometimes engagement is the strongest force someone can have. You can talk politics all day but if I'm not engaged from the initial moment, anything you end up saying is entirely lost.

Then came McCain's choice of Sarah Palin for VP. I could end this whole blog entry right now. His choice has to be the most absurd thing I've ever heard. But, I'll get to that in a second. Let me touch on the Republican National Convention. Probably the single most boring event I've ever seen on television where everyone is either 1)old, 2)white, 3)wearing a ridiculous hat, 4)looking stuffy in suits and ties or worse, 5)all of the above. Where was the diversity? And I'm not sure if anyone noticed but any non-white people in the audience looked completely staged. Anyway, the audience isn't necessarily the important part. The speeches were what solidified my belief to continue being anti-Republican. First off, why doesn't anyone come right out and say "Bush ****ed up!" Instead, we hear how the Republicans will "change" the state of the country. I'd have so much more respect for them if they would acknowledge their obvious 8 year mistake. I'll admit I didn't hear Palin's speech, but I was too busy learning her husband is part of a secession group that is looking to make Alaska its own country. Um, excuse me! (Hand raised) Isn't McCain's whole slogan "Country first"?? Ironic isn't it? Then there was the rest of his speech which I don't even remember except for that he's a war hero. I respect the man for that, he went through horrific ordeals as a soldier and deserves much praise... but that doesn't equal Presidential glory for me. Not to mention... were anything to happen to McCain during office a completely unqualified and totally off the wall person would then become President and have the greatest power in all of the world?? Oh wait, this country HAS been through that already. And have we not learned ANYTHING????? **Sigh**

Bill Maher and Jon Stewart are my heroes. Check out this clip from the Daily Show that says it all...



OBAMA '08!!!

(9.11.08...After this post encouraged several conversations on the matter I came to this point of being reminded why I've never been that interested in politics to begin with... No matter who wins the Presidency, the odds of me being directly affected, whether immediately or ever, are not tremendous. The President isn't going to change my career path, or help my loved ones with the issues affecting their lives. The most I (or anyone) can do as a citizen of this country is to live my life how I want/need to and do my own personal best to make this world a better place. Because, when it comes down to it, we're the only ones that can make real change happen. )

2 comments:

Jamie said...

This whole thing has left me completely at a loss, except knowing that there are others who feel the way we both do! I feel your pain, sista!

JFERNZ said...

I say LJR 4 President!!! She probably has more qualifications than Sarah "Miss Alaska" Palin.